Saturday, February 27, 2010
Justin had decided that he wanted to try it in his belly. Meri had gave me a tip that for the skinny guys... the hip/butt is a little better. So since Justin listens to the opinion of everyone BUT me, that morning I asked Justin if he remembered my friend Meri (we had talked about everyone over the holidays as each Christmas card came in the mail =)... it was great "talk time"). HE DID! So I told him what she/her boys said. He listened and at that point wasn't agreeing or refusing so we let him ponder.
When we got to the hospital the CDE was ready and waiting for us. She explained the process to him as he mindfully inspected the size of the needle. She also confirmed Meri's tip after some suggestive wording from me :)
THEN...She offered to put one on me first and sweet little Justin didn't want to hurt me. SO SWEET!! (sniff sniff)
I let him know that it was okay and I said I would love to try it, and I did :) CLICK!!! It really did not hurt. However, keep in mind that I have a WHOLE LOT more chub than he does so who am I to judge really?
Then, there we were... Justin's turn. We didn't drive almost an hour for nothing as far as I was concerned. We inspected "the property". He was willing to go to the "cheeks" but REFUSED to let the CDE see his tighty whities. OH BOY!!! NEW PLAN!!!
I ended up taking him in the bathroom and doing it. After a few minutes of nerves, a sweet "just let me calm down"and a deeeep breath... CLICK!!! WE DID IT!!!
(me)Did it hurt?
(J) "it pinched a little"
(me) "but not so bad right?
Justin didn't answer... he was still thinking about it.
We left the bathroom with me explaining my inexperience of the process and that soon he probably wouldn't even feel the pinch.
Unfortunately... I inserted the darn thing right where the band of his underwear lays and it bothered him. So we ended up removing it after about 5 min(mine stayed in).
Speaking of... I think we used a CLEO(?) insert. Does anyone have an opinion of them? It did not last the day on me. I intended to leave it on and give Justin my opinion about sleeping in it, but it came off?? ARG!!!
He didn't decide right away, but he has now said he might want to do it.(The two of us will work on a separate post with HIS questions and concerns).
THEN... the day switched gears. Lunch plans canceled. Strawberry short cake plans forgotten.
Because I got a call...
It was my Aunt Gwen...
Hey, where are you? Leaving the hospital...
WHY??? I explained...
Oh, okay. What hospital? St Joseph's...
Grandma's there- in the emergency room. Okay, I'm turning around.
I knew she hadn't been feeling good, but I guess it was hurting her to breath. Anthony sat with Justin for a few while I went in to get the details. Turns out she has pneumonia and she has become anemic. They decided to admit her and were talking blood transfusion. I hung out about 30 minutes and my uncle had arrived so I decided while they were looking for a room and getting orders, I should go ahead and take Anthony and Justin home(I didn't need him sick too).
I went back and hung out with her while she went down for an ECHO and a CT. She DOES NOT like to be enclosed so they couldn't do the CT... new plan!!!
I hate my grandma being sick... she the only grandma I know. It's scary to think about her getting older and not being able to fight off the sickness like she use to. My aunt stayed with her over night. She received 2 bags of blood(of course while she was trying to sleep).
So tonight I am planning on taking the night shift. This way she doesn't have to wait for the nurse if she need to go to the restroom or gets cold and wants a blanket.
Sadly, in my mind, I am worried about Justin. Anthony will need to do the night check for the first time(he doesn't know it yet). I guess it was bound to happen.
Today... I will be praying for an uneventful "D" night!!!
(Me and my grandma)
Thursday, February 25, 2010
My idea was to possibly add facts, quotes or sayings. And also a few cute "Faces of Diabetes" part.
I plan to email the video out to family and friends. I also plan on posting the video on my blog.
If you can help(PLEASE). All I need is a photo of your "D" cutie. I PROMISE to email the video to everyone who helped BEFORE I post it. Email the picture to firstname.lastname@example.org
I would GREATLY appreciate all the help I can get. I plan on having the video done some time this weekend.
Thursday, February 18, 2010
I love this Doctor
Q: Doctor, I've heard that cardiovascular exercise can prolong life. Is this true?
A: Your heart is only good for so many beats, and that's it... don't waste them on exercise. Everything wears out eventually. Speeding up your heart will not make you live longer; that's like saying you can extend the life of your car by driving it faster. Want to live longer? Take a nap.
Q: Should I cut down on meat and eat more fruits and vegetables?
A: You must grasp logistical efficiencies. What does a cow eat? Hay and corn. And what are these? Vegetables. So a steak is nothing more than an efficient mechanism of delivering vegetables to your system. Need grain? Eat chicken. Beef is also a good source of field grass (green leafy vegetable). And a pork chop can give you 100% of your recommended daily allowance of vegetable products.
Q: Should I reduce my alcohol intake?
A: No, not at all. Wine is made from fruit. Brandy is distilled wine, that means they take the water out of the fruity bit so you get even more of the goodness that way. Beer is also made out of grain. Bottoms up!
Q: How can I calculate my body/fat ratio?
A: Well, if you have a body and you have fat, your ratio is one to one. If you have two bodies, your ratio is two to one, etc.
Q: What are some of the advantages of participating in a regular exercise program?
A: Can't think of a single one, sorry. My philosophy is: No Pain...Good!
Q: Aren't fried foods bad for you?
A: YOU'RE NOT LISTENING!!! ..... Foods are fried these days in vegetable oil. In fact, they're permeated in it. How could getting more vegetables be bad for you?
Q: Will sit-ups help prevent me from getting a little soft around the middle?
A: Definitely not! When you exercise a muscle, it gets bigger. You should only be doing sit-ups if you want a bigger stomach.
Q: Is chocolate bad for me?
A: Are you crazy? HELLO Cocoa beans ! Another vegetable!!! It's the best feel-good food around!
Q: Is swimming good for your figure?
A: If swimming is good for your figure, explain whales to me.
Q: Is getting in-shape important for my lifestyle?
A: Hey! 'Round' is a shape!
Well, I hope this has cleared up any misconceptions you may have had about food and diets. And remember: 'Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways - Chardonnay in one hand - chocolate in the other - body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming 'WOO HOO, What a Ride'
AND.....For those of you who watch what you eat, here's the final word on nutrition and health. It's a relief to know the truth after all those conflicting nutritional studies.
1. The Japanese eat very little fat and suffer fewer heart attacks than Americans.
2. The Mexicans eat a lot of fat and suffer fewer heart attacks than Americans.
3. The Chinese drink very little red wine and suffer fewer heart attacks than Americans.
4. The Italians drink a lot of red wine and suffer fewer heart attacks than Americans.
5. The Germans drink a lot of beers and eat lots of sausages and fats and suffer fewer heart attacks than Americans.
CONCLUSION. Eat and drink what you like. Speaking English is apparently what kills you.
Wednesday, February 17, 2010
Here's a short little list of things I may or may not have said lately...
- Hold on... I can't think right now because I have to pee.
- Ya know... it would be easier to just pour the coffee into the sugar bowl.
- SEE! And people think that I'm just a dumb redneck.
- Is that the breakfast blend? Do they have a wimpy blend?
- Well for that I might even shave my legs for you.
- Help a sister out. Bring me home a Carmel apple and a diet vanilla coke.
- If you can't control that thing... I suggest you not bend over.
- Ya know... that was pretty stupid... even for a man.
- I just got my a** handed to me by a 9 year old while playing Chess. What kind of crap is that?
- Well that has been known to turn things on, but I don't think its gonna work on the TV.
What's come out of your mouth lately????
Saturday, February 13, 2010
The terms are simple: If you read this post, all I ask in return is that you do your own completely random list about yourself on your blog and leave me a comment so I can get to know you too. (the same goes for you... if you read THIS post~ you must agree to the "terms")
What the heck...
1. Like Shamae, I am also a people watcher. I recently realized how bad this was a couple weeks ago when I found Leighanna doing the same thing. Lets face it... some people are entertaining.
2. I am on the computer ALL THE TIME. Way to much actually.
3. I am pretty easy going and it takes A LOT to make me mad, but if you get me to that point watch out because your on my shit list for a while!
4. I am VERY quiet when I am uncomfortable. Such as in groups of people or around someone I don't really know. However, my friends would laugh if someone described me as quiet to them.
5. I am pretty comical when you get me going. On occasion, a little nutty :) In a good way of course.
6. I like to have a plan. I don't like to jump up at a moments notice and go somewhere without one. It dives me nuts!!
7. I know a lot of people, but I only consider myself to have a few "friends". I like it that way.
8. I don't have a whole lot of Patience for adult stupidity.
9. Like Shamae, I also like symmetry. However, If this list ends on an odd number... I will be okay with it. I like visual symmetry. If you have pillars on the outside of your house... there SHOULD be an even number of them and they should be equally spaced and centered (I know- weird). I like pictures straight, evenly spaced and not "randomly all over the place"(don't worry, if I come visit you, I will not go around your house and fix things).
10. I hate to do laundry... I would rather clean the bathroom.
11. I do my best work when I'm under pressure or pressed for time. If I have too much time, I will keep trying to fix it or make it better.
12. I think I'm OCD. (????)
13. I don't really like to read books. I get distracted. I prefer reading blogs.
14. I like to think that I have thick skin... but things bother me more than I let on.
15. I wish that Chinese person would quit leaving comments on my blog. I can't read them and they make me nervous. I feel like they are trying to give me a virus or something.
16.I have a constant, sickening fear that I fall asleep and not catch Justin's low in the middle of the night. I obsess over it and I think it's making me mental. (???)
I think that's enough info for today. Plus, it's even so Shamae won't squirm.
Now it's your turn... what should we/should we not know about you?
Friday, February 12, 2010
Thursday Morning: I woke up about 15 min late because Justin was a little iffy (123) at his 12:30 check and I waited another 45 min to see which way he was going before I gave him some juice. So by the time I rechecked at 1:30 and gave him his juice... I went to bed at a late 1:50am.
Okay, back to my morning. I hop up, wake the kids and head to the kitchen to start lunches n such. It wasn't till about 20 minutes late that I realized how exceptionally quiet it was. (???)
As I looked around... no kids... what? They BOTH fell back asleep and I didn't notice. (good job mom). So now that we are even more behind, I decide that there is NO WAY Leighanna will make it to guitar practice this morning. (No biggie because she only missed one other practice all year)
So we hop in Anthony's truck because his work truck was behind my car. I take the kids to school and head home.
Now this may be hard to understand since none of you have ever seen my house, but I sometimes have obstacles when it come to getting in/out of the driveway.
1. Anthony now brings home a full size work truck so we now play musical cars.
2. Our friends across the street, love them but he parks his truck on the side of his house which is directly in front of my driveway.
3. Thursday is garbage day so we also had 2 garbage cans nicely placed in an odd manner thanks to the friendly garbage man who likes to toss them.
Now the smart thing to do would have been to move the garbage cans, but we were going to be late. So I successfully jog my way out of the driveway and off to school we go.
When I get back I squeeze my way back through said garbage cans and work truck. I had it... so I thought! BAM!!!! I hit the back of the work truck with with Anthony's truck. There is damage to the back door and the panel where the wheel well is. (work truck is just fine).
Well GOOD HELL... okay so that's to exactly what actually came out of my mouth. Those words are not so lady like.
Before then I was hanging on to the edge of the cliff that Meri described. We have had so much weight put on our shoulders in the last year. Weight that I don't talk about, but it has affected me in a major way. So when that happened... I fell off. ~Holy melt down batman. 1. because now I have to pay to get it fixed... how? I don't know. It HAS to be fixed because it's a lease and unless we extend it, we turn it in mid May (yes, this May).
Anthony took it well. Even told me that in some way shape or form he was sure it was "somehow his fault" (love him for that).
My meltdown was brutal. You know... the "when is all the bad going to end" kind of meltdown.
The one where you question "why God is mad" at you and wonder what you did to "deserve all the challenges you've had to face". I needed it though and I am glad Anthony was here to hug me and tell me it was okay.
Friday morning: I had to sub this morning so I was up on time and started the kids a few minutes early so that I wouldn't start my morning and theirs stressed. It worked. We were on time leaving with just a few(okay several)... "JUSTIN LETS GO's!!!"
Anthony had moved his work truck onto the road. I didn't even notice. I jumped in his truck because I need gas and headed out on time. As I was backing out... I looked in the side mirror to see where the neighbors truck was. I was good so back I went. BAM!!!!WTF???
You've got to be shitting me. I backed into Anthony's work truck. Were talkin two days in a row. Who does that? Oh that's right... ME!
So this time Anthony walks out. Looks at me. Shakes his head. And goes inside. I can't blame him... I would be pissed at me to. As a matter of fact, I was pissed at me.
Either way, I learned a few lessons today.
1. I have way to much on my mind.
2. I need to start remembering to watch out for that damn work truck.
3. At some point in everyones life... they WILL back into something. (this was my first)
4.I can no longer live with out the back-up "idiot" sensors that I have on my car. That annoying beep is a lifesaver.
Tomorrow... (with any luck) I will be sleeping in.
Monday, February 8, 2010
Saturday, February 6, 2010
So out of curiosity... I googled Oprah to see what was happening. The previews said it all. I didn't need to watch the show to tell you it was going to be all about type 2.
So why did I set the DVR??? Who knows! Curiosity again? Hope that they would differentiate between the two? Maybe I wanted to watch it so that I could keep up with the chat about it afterwards.
Either way, I set myself up from the beginning that the "O" show wasn't going to be any different than any other. I told myself that it was going talk all about type 2... the word type 1 would be mentioned but not explained.
Soo did "O" disappoint? NOPE! Not at all.
It was lumped together.
It didn't help the cause for a cure for all those out there faced with this horrid disease.
Those that are NOT over weight.
Those that ARE active.
Those that are babies.
Those that DID NOT have a choice.
It did NOT help the children out there who just want to feel normal.
Those children who's teachers wont give them hot chocolate or king cake even though their friends are all enjoying those things in front of them.
WHAT ABOUT THE CHILDREN OPRAH??
I think JDRF needs a chance to appear on a talk show. Let that talk show use it's resources to help JDRF raise money for a cure. Give T1's a chance to be heard... recognised... and understood.
Let the faces of T1 diabetes be seen.
I challenge you mighty talk shows
To sum it all up... Maybe it did help a few with or at risk of type 2. And that IS wonderful.
But get it straight.
And that's MY two cents on the subject!!!
Monday, February 1, 2010
Anywho... I received a comment from Wendy (not our Wendy... a new one!) at Life with the Coopers. She is a fellow T1 mom to Avery who was diagnosed on May 19th 2009.
She has had a visit from our very own... Meri and Shamae (I know this because they left a comment) so I didn't "discover" her or anything (as I laugh), but I am sure she would love a visit from more of our AWESOME D-Mom's.
Love you all!!!