That's good in a way, but I hate to convince Justin to go with it only to find out our NEW insurance isn't having any part of it. UUG!
Monday, December 28, 2009
That's good in a way, but I hate to convince Justin to go with it only to find out our NEW insurance isn't having any part of it. UUG!
Sunday, December 27, 2009
- Always have extra batteries with you
- Batteries like to go out in the middle of the night when you want sleep
- When you cant find your pump... look under your pillow
- Our pump needs a cool name
- Pumps require a full rewind... ummm like a video???
- If you detach your pump in front of your teacher... she may have a heart attack!
Saturday, December 26, 2009
It's okay though because the kids truly give us a reason to celebrate.
Happy Holidays... 2009
Sunday, December 20, 2009
I felt so terrible for Justin tonight. He is so tired from the interrupted sleep that he just passed out. This is sooo unlike him. He is just like me, a night owl. But he's exhausted!!! Beyond exhausted!! At first I have to admit... it kinda worried me because it is so unusual.
Friday night Justin was 239 before bed. He ate pasta which makes him go up after a few hours so I thought... he will be good, but I will check him around 11:30 when he peaks. So I set my alarm and tried to get some rest. At his 11:30 check he was 148. So I thought GREAT... he usually wakes up fine with this...(in the 80's~ ish). So back to sleep I went :)
4am rolls around and I feel a tap tap tap tap tap tap... on my arm??? Groggy and confused; I peel open my heavy eyelids to find Leighanna standing there. She says that Justin doesn't feel good. So I pop up and head in with our One Touch Mini in hand to check it out.
He was 60 ~ what? He always makes it through the rest of the night when he's around 150.
UHG! Okay~ so I give him a snack and sent him back to bed. (I don't think he was able to go back to sleep at that point though).
Then there was last night... we were sitting on the couch watching all the cute puppies on Animal Planet. Next thing you know, I said something to him and he was O-U-T... OUT! I have NEVER seen him fall asleep sitting STRAIGHT UP before. WOW~ okay. So I check his blood, he's 358, whoa... high, But okay let me get him in bed and I will check around my usual 11:30.I was still awake, so I checked him around midnight~ UMMM 58??? Dang it!!!
I made him a piece of peanut butter toast and headed in... I couldn't wake him up! I rubbed his back, talked to him, sat him up etc... his eyes would crack open and his head would roll backwards and it was LIGHTS OUT! Once I was able to get him to take a bite... he actually fell asleep mid chew. Oh dear! It literally took me about 20 minutes to get it in him.
After that, I came out here to start this complaining post... :). I wanted to give him some time and check him again before I went to bed. Well I think I dozed off because I could have swore I just blinked, but when I opened my eyes I saw this: ssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss
OOPS! Delete :)
At that point it was almost 2am... this time he was 62... 62?? Crap! So a juice , back rubbing, talking to, sitting him up and so on... he finally drank it laying down with his eyes closed. He would have a little and roll over... I would rub his back.. and stick the straw in his mouth. At his 4am check, he was 95. At this point Humulin was done and his dad was getting up at 5:30. Anything I gave him now would shoot him way high, so I left him alone.
This morning... he didn't wake up until 8:30 (again unlike him) I went in to check on him several times, but figured he needed the sleep. His bg was 117 ~ not bad :)
So I am exhausted... he's exhausted... were ALL exhausted~ right?
Here's wishing all of us a restful Sunday :)
Wednesday, December 16, 2009
I made a point to drive the kids to school so that I could talk to Justin's teacher about the hot chocolate. I explained to her how upset he was and how diabetes is hard enough without having to miss out on special things. I told her how excited he was about polar express day and how he was crushed by the whole outcome.
She was very apologetic. Said that she was TRYING to do the right thing. She told me she felt terrible about the whole not giving it to him and how she doesn't like handing things out anymore because she's worried about him. I greatly appreciate that and don't know if I am able to convince her that on occasion it IS OKAY!!!
When Justin came home yesterday, he told me that Mrs ___ told him she was sorry and she gave him some hot chocolate. I asked him what he said and he told me... "I told her it was okay mom".
So this morning; I found out that Mrs. teacher also stopped by and talked to the nurse. Mrs. nurse told her that the last thing that ALL the diabetic parents want is for their child to be left out.
I think she sincerely felt bad and she IS a great teacher.
I now feel bad for making her feel bad... ya know?? But I guess it had to be done.
Thank you all for your comments... I appreciate you listening to me wine.
Tuesday, December 15, 2009
Today at school; Justin's class was having a Polar Express day. Jammie's, hot chocolate.. the whole 9 yards. Justin was SO excited. He wore a new set of pj's, his gator slippers and even his Santa hat. I was excited for him too. You see Justin is still at the point that the hot chocolate won't make his numbers crazy... will they go up? Yes. But he is usually low at school, so if they hit more than 200... I would be surprised.
So when he came home today... he didn't say much(?).
So I asked him... "hey, how was Polar Express day" ...
(M) "Okay? Did you have fun?"
(J) "Well, Mrs. wouldn't give me any hot chocolate..."
(M) ???"wwwhhhyyy???" (long and drawn out just like that too)
(J)She said it had to much sugar and said I could have some hot water.
(M) HOT WATER? WTF? (I didn't say that out loud, but I sure thought it!!)
(M) "Did she talk to Mrs. (Nurse)? Were you high?"
Justin and I continued to talk for a few minutes. He was sad... truly sad. Like diabetes just ripped his heart out again. He told me that he told Mrs. _ that he "really wanted some hot chocolate". I literally teared up and my heart ached for him. My heart ached for an 8 year old boy who had to sit there and watch 17 other kids drink hot chocolate. A little boy who already has a low self esteem because of everything that he's gone through in his short life. Things that an 8 year old shouldn't have to think about.
I had no idea that she would do this... I would have never imagined... I knew they were having hot chocolate... I worked yesterday and all last week... I was in the break room with her every one of those days. I have told her that as long as I know whats going on I will adjust. I have said the Dr does not want him excluded. I have said... if there are ever any questions... call the nurse or call me.
I did end up calling the nurse to see if maybe there was a reason for the way it was handled. She had heard nothing... and it turns out his bg was 52 in the afternoon. I guess the hot chocolate would have helped after all.
I don't even know what I am going to say to her tomorrow. There's so many things running through my head... mostly I think I would like to tell her that this disease is hard enough on him... it has changed his life(and not for the good)... this disease is hard enough on it's own without being left out... singled out... and saddened because of it.
Damn Polar Express Day...
Damn people that make them sad...
Saturday, December 12, 2009
they also meet up with some good friends....
Right before the race we checked our blood... 88... what?? So the sweet boy enjoyed a piece of cookie and a piece of cinnamon roll and we headed to the start line.
So in the end the little boy finished in 4th place in the kids race... and the mom is just happy she made it.
Thursday, December 10, 2009
Be thankful that you don't already have everything you desire. If you did, what would there be to look forward to?
Be thankful when you don't know something, for it gives you the opportunity to learn.
Be thankful for the difficult times. During those times you grow.
Be thankful for your limitations, because they give you opportunities for improvement.
Be thankful for each new challenge, because it will build your strength and character.
Be thankful for your mistakes. They will teach you valuable lessons.
Be thankful when you're tired and weary, because it means you've made a difference.
It's easy to be thankful for the good things. A life or rich fulfillment comes to those who are also thankful for the setbacks.
Gratitude can turn a negative into a positive. Find a way to be thankful for your troubles and they can become your blessings.
Wednesday, December 9, 2009
Now I must also list 5 things that I love... (in no particular order)
1. I LOVE THIS BLOG COMMUNITY! I am a quiet person(always have been). I like to hang back and take it all in(both in bloggyville and IRL). Just reading every ones stories, challenges, happiness, accomplishments etc. lets me know that I am not alone here. Even when I don't know what to say... there are others with the same thoughts and feelings as mine. Whether we have a bad day or were on top of the world... you can ALWAYS count on words of hope or cheer from this WONDERFUL circle of friends. And I love that!
2. My hubby... I am a pretty independent gal. But when I need him... there's no question. He is there. When Justin was diagnosed; I fell apart(literally) and there he was... without him I may not have regrouped.
3. My children of course... craziness and all. I am proud of who they have become. I am proud of how well Justin has adjusted and how Leighanna takes care of him when I am not around(shhh, don't tell her I know). They are my joy... they are what keeps me exhausted... AND yet they are also what keeps me going.
4. I love my faith. A while back I lost a little of it. I love that when I found it, it was like I never fell apart. I also love how much stronger it makes me.
5. Our school nurse... She has made my like better. She has taken some of the pressure of of me when it comes to "dealing" with teacher. I trust her judgement more than I trust my own at times. I don't think she knows how wonderful she is or how much I appreciate her.
And now... to share this award with 5 people... again in no particular order.
Meri at Our Diabetic Life
Hallie at Window to my World
Laura at The Houston five
Phonelady at The older side of life
Jill at Diabetes Sweeties
Okay ladies... it's your turn. List 5 things you love and pass it on.
Tuesday, December 8, 2009
Monday, December 7, 2009
A few other D blogging mom's had the idea to send each other Christmas cards. I have volunteered to put together a spreadsheet with every one's information and then send it out to the group. :) (in my spare time, of course)If you are interested in participating, please send the following information to me at email@example.com
Sunday, December 6, 2009
Tuesday, December 1, 2009
What does that mean?? Well, I have mentioned before that Justin is still in the honeymoon stage~ right? So I have been reading all of these blogs talking about 4 or 5 shots a day and how fellow D moms are setting alarms for every couple hours to check bg's at night. For months, I have been thinking... wow~ I am glad I don't have to get up in the middle of the night... And 5 SHOTS?? Holy insulin batman!
Besides the numbers during school, I would say I have had it easy. I couldn't even complain about our measly 2 shots a day. NOW... I think our time is coming. For the past few weeks, I have found myself setting the alarm for a night time check and one of the questions on my Endo list will be "shall we add in a lunch time dose?
I hate to do that to Justin, but I don't know what else to do. The problem is the time he eats lunch at school. They are literally the LAST class to go to lunch... by this time he's about 6 1/2 hours into his Humulin. I don't give him a ton of food for lunch, but he has to eat.
What sucks is that we have to feed him a half a sandwich between 8 and 8:30 and then a snack around 10:30 or he drops into the 40's(one time 39). He usually has great numbers right before lunch (under 100), but after... upper 300's for several hours after.
I guess it will straighten out soon... ~right?
Friday, November 27, 2009
Thursday, November 26, 2009
2. Have you ever smoked? last thing I smoked was a butt.... a Boston Butt :)
3. Do you own a gun? Only a Nerf and I was shot with it the other day.
4. Favorite type of Food? Italiano baby!!
5. Favorite type of music? I listen to just about everything... but 80's are the fav!
6. What do you think of hot dog? I liked them until i watched How it's made on the Science Channel... shouldn't have done that... I'm ruined forever.
7. Favorite Christmas movie? Frosty the Snowman... was a jolly happy soul...
8. What do you prefer to drink in the morning? COOOFFFEEE!!!!
9. Can you do push ups? It might hurt, but I'll try.
10. What’s your favorite piece of jewelry? My anniversary band.
11. Favorite hobby? anything crafty and I've become a little addicted to blogging.
12. Do you have A. D. D.? I'm pretty sure I do???. And I am also pretty sure I need medication for it!
13. Do you wear glasses/contacts? Since I was 5... blind as a bat I am.
14. Middle name? Mae... yep, Lora Mae (she said in her hick voice).
15. Name 3 thoughts at this exact moment: 1) I really need to start cooking. 2) Were eating at 2:00~ what am I going to do about Justin? 3) Ummm, I'm blank (refer to question 12).
16. Name 3 drinks you regularly drink: Diet Vanilla Coke, fruit punch and tea.
17. Current worry? That I will screw Justin all up today.
18. Current hate right now? My messy house... I JUST CLEANED!!!
19. Favorite place to be? Home. I am always on the go.
20. How did you bring in the new year? We don't like to be on the road for amature night... we hang out in the street with the neighbors...
21. Someplace you’d like to go? I'll meet Meri in New York
22. Name three people who will complete this. YOU! That's right... if your reading this and you haven't been tagged... consider yourself TAGGED!!!
23. Do you own slippers? Yes, but I prefer my flip flops.
24. What color shirt are you wearing? Orange T
25. Do you like sleeping on satin sheets? only if I'm feeling frisky :)
26. Can you whistle? Yep ~ but not loud like the cool people.
27. Where are you now? Family room.
28. Would you be a pirate? I'm going with Meri's answer on this one. ARRRGGG!
29. What songs do you sing in the shower? I only sing in the car with the music blasting.
30. Favorite Girl’s Name? Leighanna
31. Favorite boy’s name? Cade... but Anthony INSISTED on naming him Justin. WTH?
32. What is in your pocket right now? No pockets in my "comfy shorts".
33. Last thing that made you laugh? My kids went to bed last night in their Santa hats.
34. What vehicle do you drive? Ford Edge.
35. Worst injury you've ever had? Flipped my 4 wheeler... that junk HURT! Nothing broken though. Just bruises, bruises and more bruises. (and I bent by steering stem... the one on the bike that is)
36. Do you love where you live? Most of the time...
37. How many TVs do you have in your house? 4 and I still have to record my favorite shows???
38. How many computers do you have in your house? 4 ~ there's 4 of us and we don't like to share.
39. If you changed your job, what would it be? I would teach special needs children.
40. If you were granted three wishes, what would they be? 1) A cure. 2) I "poof" my bills away. 3) Sanity :)
~Happy Thanksgiving Ya'll
Tuesday, November 24, 2009
Sung to the tune of "Deck the Halls"
Count the carbs with cups and scales
Guesstimate when all else fails
Factored carbs are even greater
Candy canes are roughly twenty
Monday, November 23, 2009
Sunday, November 22, 2009
Friday, November 20, 2009
Thursday, November 19, 2009
Sunday, November 15, 2009
Lots of changes going on aroud here... but thats a whole nother story.
And last but not least... let's face it ladies. Even though he was a dirty and Gross... Captain Jack brought Johnny Depp back to the top 5's of a whole lotta ladies. The days of Edward Scissor Hands and Charlie and the chocolate factory have been forgotten. Johnny Depp is back.
Who's in your top 5? If the truth were known... I would actually have a top 10. Except I limited.